Specify scale of y-axis of Expense Barchart in terms of money units

Anton Kratz anton.kratz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 11:49:26 EDT 2015

Hi,

I am using GnuCash for about half a year now to keep track of my personal
finances, what money comes in and what goes out, with expense accounts for
rent, electricity, groceries, transport and so on. Overall I think GnuCash
is awesome and I don't understand how I could live without it, though I
personally find it weak when it comes to actually analyzing where my money
goes, i.e. the especially the reports could be much improved, and generally
I found it to actually have a steep learning curve overall. Anyway, I now
write to gnucash-user regarding the Expense Barcharts.

I made several custom configurations of the Expense Barchart, which show me
how much money I have spent each month in certain categories. The reports
are almost exactly how I want them to be, the only problem is that they are
difficult to compare, because the scale of the y-axis varies with the
maximum amount of money spent on a specific day.

It is possible to adjust the absolute height of the y-axis in terms of
pixels under:

Reports -> Income & Expense -> Expense Barchart

Options -> Display -> Plot Height

However, what I want to do is to specify the absolute scale of the y-axis
in terms of currency. I.e. for each month, the y-axis should be f.e. 400
pixel high (easily doable) and max out out at, say, 20.000 Yen.

This way it would be possible to compare several custom Expense Barcharts
much more easily.

Is this possible?

If no, I would like to kindly request that this will be added in the
Options -> Display dialog, if possible. I am aware of the GnuCash “New
Feature Request” forum (
http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request) but I feel that
while my request is reasonable, useful for many users and probably very
easy to implement, it would take a very long time to get enough votes
through that system, so I am posting to this mailing list, I hope it is
okay.

bw,
Anton