Help with split postings

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jun 12 00:58:49 EDT 2015

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 9:27 PM, James <james at plateautel.net> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 11, 2015, at 9:38 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

>>> I neglected to say that I am running version 2.6.5 under windows 7 if it matters.
>>> JF

>> In this case it doesn’t matter.
>>
>> You’re really studied the Tutorial and Concepts Guide, in particular http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/txns-registers1.html#txns-registers-multiaccount2 and something doesn’t make sense or work right? What specifically are you trying and what is going wrong?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
>> Hello John,
>  I am trying to made a deposit.  My example above is what I am doing, but the amounts differ.
>  When I make the entry I enter a deposit in the checking account, then make entrys to the two expense accounts.  I wind up with a $1,000.00 increase in the checking account.
> Thank you for your reply.

Please remember to copy the list on all replies: Use “reply all” or, if your mail client supports it, “reply list”.

Please also assure me that you have *carefully studied* the Tutorial and Concepts Guide.

Your transaction, when viewed from the checking account register, should have three splits that look something like:

									Deposits	Withdrawals
					Assets:Checking Account		  500.00
					Income:Raffle Tickets				     300.00
					Income:Miscellaneous				     200.00

The example in the Tutorial and Concepts Guide, though having more splits, very clearly shows a similar arrangement.

Regards,
John Ralls