gnucash-user Digest, Vol 147, Issue 17

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 04:31:02 EDT 2015

Colin Law wrote on Tuesday, 16 June, 2015 11:22 PM:
> How did you do the getdeb installation?

I was curious about this, so I did a bit of digging. If you're running Linux Mint and used the getdeb package installer, then I have discovered something that might screw things up for you.

Take a look at the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list

The installer uses the command lsb_release -sc to determine the version of Linux you're running. If you run that on Mint 17, it will say 'rebecca', in which case the getdeb.list file will read:
deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu rebecca-getdeb apps

This is wrong! It should in fact be trusty rather than rebecca to fit with Ubuntu 14, which is what Mint 17 is based on:
deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu trusty-getdeb apps

This is the one that is working for me, as it corresponds to an actual repository. So, changing that value and then running apt-get update could be the solution you're after. i.e. from the command line:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Hopefully you will see the new version of gnucash being downloaded.

If you get errors about keys not working, you can try a
wget -O- http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -

I gather I must have done the manual style installation. Hope this helps.

P.

PPS. For Ubuntu 15, use vivid instead of trusty.