Gnucash list protocols

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 10:02:39 EDT 2015

I thought I would go ahead and throw in a response -- to take part in the
free software democracy :-)

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 8:02 AM, Peter Von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> Email lists are good when they are accepted by the developers which leads
> to queries being generally answered more quickly. Flames though attract
> more nourishment as every post is received by everyone. And searchability
> is poor unless one keeps the whole archive around

The archives are at least as searchable as fora, although there is a bit of
a trick; I use this feature regularly: http://bfy.tw/Nhi

- which I do on my main computer, but not in my webmail accound which I use
> here right now.

I strongly prefer using a mailing list, and would likely not willingly
participate in a forum (read or write).

> None of this though answers why wm is allowed to flame in the fashion he
> does without any consequences for him.

Although I haven't been around very long, and I don't pay close attention
to each thread, I wouldn't characterize his regular behaviour as 'flaming',
but rather perhaps crabby. The oldest developer where I work tends to
operate in the same fashion; it's always clear where he stands, and his
straightforwardness makes it easier for the more nuanced in the group echo
a softened version of what he has said. Wm's general edginess doesn't
bother me at all, and isn't as vitriolic as what I see on e.g. the kernel
mailing list. This last episode includes unrelated personal attacks which
are tangential and unhelpful, and I think the moderation has done an
excellent job juggling the helpfulness Wm often provides, the level of
offense given, and free speech (in the context of a software project that
strongly stresses freedom). As Dave above said, I don't mind hitting
delete, although admittedly, that doesn't protect the delicate feelings of
the thin-skinned.

Peter