Finance Quote Update on Macbook Pro (OSX 10.10.3)

hasekamp at gmail.com hasekamp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 08:29:11 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am trying to get acquainted with gnucash on my Macbook Pro. The manual helps me out with most problems, but I really do not have any grip on FinanceQuote Update.

I ran the script, and many files were installed. When I run it again it says that everything is up-to-date.
Well, thank you very much that is helpful and reassuring!
But in fact nothing happens to my finance quotes. Every stock only has the one quote I entered when I created the account for it.

When I click the “update quotes” button from the "edit quotes" screen, I get the very helpful message “system error". Wow! that really helps.

Originally I did not have Xcode installed, but I tried that after all. So I installed the 4 GB of - to me - useless code, but there was no option to install te command line tools from within Xcode, as the gnu cash FAQ suggests for thew Mac.

I nevertheless tried to run Finance Quote Update with Xcode installed, but I received the same reassuring message that everything was up to date, and I received not a single quote. Also from the “update quotes” screen I received the same message that there was a system error. That’s it.

I uninstalled Xcode, because I am not interested in spending more than 4 GB of disk space, without any use.

The question that remains is: “How do I update my gnu cash quotes with Finance Quotes Update or from the “update quotes screen?”.

Any help (other than installing Xcode again and install the not present command line tools) will be appreciated.

Rene Hasekamp.