Fast receipt entry into gnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 24 09:24:31 EDT 2015

Nelson,

Nelson Handcock <nelson.handcock at gmail.com> writes:

> Derek,
>
> *snip I'm not sure how this helps you.  The receipts don't have QR codes on
> them, so you're already stuck keying them into something... *snip
>
> Well I download the credit transactions from the bank account or a cash
> receipting system, so the data is already in a flat file format and it would
> be great to be able to upload this direct as payments against invoices.
>
> I've tried importing the bank transactions as QIF import, but you still have
> to manually associate the transaction as a payment to an invoice (they don't
> appear as payments on the customer report until you do this) - this defeats
> any benefit of the QIF import. I've found it easier to just click on any
> invoice in the customer report and then enter a payment.

Now you are talking about a COMPLETELY different animal.  The original
question was about how to enter a bunch of receipts quickly (that have
not already been keyed into a computer).  That's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
than "how do I import transactions as customer payments".

Please don't hijack a thread for a completely different topic; please
start a new thread.

To answer your question -- none of the importers are aware of the
business metadata; so yes, you need to manually apply the payments to
the customers.  Note that this just requires matching payment
transactions to customers (in 2.6), it does not require entering any new
data.  Yes, it's a bit extra work, but the whole business side of
gnucash is extra work.

Thank you,

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Nelson Handcock