Fast receipt entry into gnuCash is a UI / work flow problem

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jun 25 04:32:53 EDT 2015

On Thursday 25 June 2015 10:25:17 Mart wrote:
> Lots of interesting ideas but lets' be honest: This is mostly a
> UI/work flow problem.
>
> Lets say I have bill I need to pay or have paid in the past and
> finally got around to update GnuCash
>
>  From business perspective, regarding VAT, it doesn’t matter in which
> month I make the payment - if bill was issued in May, it must be part
> of May VAT calculations.

This depends on your country. Until recently this was also valid in
Belgium, but the law has changed and soon we'll have to take payment
dates into account for VAT calculations instead of invoice date.

> For start, there is no button on the toolbar for "New Bill"
> 1) Select Business,
> 2) Select Vendor
> 3) Select New Bill  (3 moves/clicks!) 0 lines of data entered
> 4) Select Date opened - 22.05.2015
> 5) Select (Lets say it's a existing vendor or this will branch off to
> another fork flow / use case)
You can also just start typing the name of an existing vendor in the
vendor text entry field. Saves you several clicks to select the vendor.

> 6) Lets say Description matches previous bill (so I can skip selecting
> accounts etc) If not, you need to make many more moves (and this
> branches off to another fork flow / use case)
> 7) Click "Post This Invoice to your Chart of Accounts"
> 8) Adjust Due Date

Due date will be calculated for you if you defined the proper billing
terms. Other than that I agree there are many improvements possible in
the business workflow.

> So far I have done 9 moves to get the relevant data entered
>
> 9) click "Enter Payment"
> 10) In Transaction Details Date has changed to Today??? Why not show
> Due Date? - Change the date
Because due date is equally arbitrary as Today. You make the assumption
that everybody always pays invoices on the due date only. For my
workflow that is much more unlikely than that I have paid the bill
today. I tend to enter the bills in Gnucash, then go to my bank to make
the payments and then mark the bills paid in gnucash.

I'm not saying my workflow is superior. I do believe Due Date is less
likely to be correct than Today in most workflows.

> 11) Select Assets
> 12) Select Current Assest
> 13) Select Bank Account or what ever you use
>
> We can save 3 useless moves I have to do every time over and over
> again, if we had option to defined default account for payments -
> Bank Account in my case. Maybe use last one?
Then you have discovered a bug. GnuCash should remember the last account
you have used, per vendor. So if you paid ACME last time via bank A, the
next ACME payment should propose bank A again.

> 14) Click OK
>
> and start it all over again
>
> How to speed this up?
>
> A) Open up only one window, with all the related fields and dropdowns,
> where I can use tab to jump form one filed to to another one and get
> it done as fast as possible.

This has been under discussion several times. I agree. Nobody has found
time to implement such an interface yet.

> B) Add "Date Opened" option for entering this stuff directly to
> selected account ledger... but what happens to Date Opened?

I don't understand this proposal.

> Cheers!
>
> PS! I have no idea why anyone, except business, even bothers entering
> every invoice they had to pay into Gnucash but never mind that for
> now.

Heh, ditto. The business features are indeed really intended for
businesses which require a more formal tracking of (business)
transactions. These addons are not intended for personal use. On the
other hand people are free to use the software however they like (GPL
explicitly allows this ;)

Geert