GNUCash Import QIF - Help Please!

GT-I9070 H gti9070h at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:18:59 EDT 2015

Dear Derek,

> Personally, whenever I respond to an email I always try to use whatever
> signature they used.  You sign your messages GTI, so I use that when
> addressing you back.

Yeah, I do it too, just that sometimes I try an innovation!
Particularly I do not care what they call me provided it is not
offensive. Here I am just a person.
On example is that GTI has nothing to do as my name but with the model of
an old smartphone mine.
I have a lot of email and in each I am a person!

> It's not a question of whether something suggests something; that is
> always welcome.  Rather, the issue is setting the expectation of whether
> that suggestion will ever be implemented by the developers.  In this
> case, the answer is a strong "very very unlikely".

This my suggestion is not something of the utmost importance, but I'm sure
your answer displeases many users.

You hinted that:
Innovations are always welcomed by everyone, who will make them is the the
problem.
I agree.

Frankly. I did not expect that my suggestion was met and very surprised me
if it was, but I had to try. Now we have this experience.

> So yes, I always encourage people to roll up their sleeves and get
> dirty.  Some people can, some people can't.  For those that can't (for
> one reason or another) there are other ways to be involved in the
> community, like working on documentation, translations, or just helping
> other users.

Particularly when I help someone I just hope one thing of his: Gratitude.
It's something I do more for me than the other. When you make to the other
you expect payment.
What does he offer the most is retribution and will delight me more.
If it isn't so, it does not a help, its trade.

> The wonders of GPL is that you're welcome to make changes for yourself
> without submitting them to anyone.  You're also welcome to submit them
> back to us.  In this case, there's no C code involved; the QIF importer
> is written in Scheme.

Scheme?
Oh, why you not said it before! Thus it is much more easier.
I do not do no idea what is Scheme.

And I do not want to create another lonely path of development but
contribute and receive the contribution of others.

> Yes, if you decided to share your code changes then yes, it would need
> to be approved by others, and yes, there is a chance it wouldn't be
> approved.

We are running after our tails.

> The fact GnuCash not import exchange rates of any file format is a major
> > problem that must be solved someday and that day may be coming.
> >
> > My suggestion is to create a field in the QIF file that does not affect
> > existing and pass the call this QIF format changed to another name as Eg
> QIG
> > (QIF to GnuCash Exchange rate import) and enable the import of this new
> field
> > in GnuCash importer for QIG format.
>
> And what, pray tell, would actually generate QIF with this random, non
> standard field?  Quicken wont.  Banks wont.  Other QIF-emitting
> applications wont.   Basically, nothing will actually create a QIF with
> this proprietary custom field, so it seems silly to spend time on it.

My simple VB/VBA code can !!! And that I can change and share.
I expected this your answer.
My expectation was that you might find interesting open a gateway to
off-line exchange rates.

Honestly, it would probably be better to update the CSV importer to add
> that feature.  At least CSV is an open format.  This, however, would
> require working in C code, but it's more likely to be acceptable
> en-masse.

This was my next suggestion.
Update the CSV importer to import exchange rates and CATEGORIES.
It would also be very very GOOD!

> So you will have already created an entryway for off-line exchange rate
> data!
>
> I don't see the point.

Invent something that people they will found the utility!
The laser had no use when it was invented.

> > I'm already with my data well fragmented and would not want to create
> another
> > fragment.
>
> If you've already fragmented then what's another fragment?  :)

One more! :)

Regards
GTI