How are the budget totals calculated

David chrstdvd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 06:27:45 EST 2015

I just made three new budgets yesterday and noticed a few things that
affected the totals on the bottom.

1.  If I had a sub account such as Auto : Maintenance in the expenses and
inadvertently placed the amount in the parent column, et Auto instead of
maintenance, it did not matter what I did to correct it, the total expense
line would not change by that amount.  Had to start with a fresh blank
budget.

2. The same for transfers.

3. I was shocked by the fact I had to place a negative number in the
Liability column.  Say if I budgeted $50 for my Gas card I had to enter it
as -50, same with the Mortgage principal payment.

If you put a figure into the parent account, it does not matter what you put
in any child account, the only thing that makes it to the totoal line is
what you put into the parent account.  You can tell visually by the text
being dark if directly entered into the parent and light if it is a sum of
the child accounts.

I kept after it until the my total line was equal to my spreadsheet program
that I used to fill in the budget in GC.

The Total line at bottom is calculated Income - Expenses - Transfers.

<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4676609/Selection_006.png>