How to account for rent cheque?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Mar 2 08:20:22 EST 2015

First off, I do realize that this is more of an accounting question, but
I took the liberty to post here................. the rent that I pay
should be accounted as an expense. However, the way that I do it is that
I give to my landlord a cheque with the rent amount, each first day of
the month. This seems to me like being a liability, which disappears
when my landlord cashes the cheque.

It's also a "jurisdiction" question and I can't tell you the rules for
where you are. Here (anywhere in the US) the money in the checking
account legally ceases to be yours once you have made "constructive
delivery" of the check. Handed it to your landlord, or put it in the
mail (which is why here, postmark date is legally relevant). This is
complicated because here, checking accounts do NOT have "overdraft" as a
matter of course, though that can often be arranged. In other words, if
you write and make "constructive delivery" of checks for more than your
account balance you are technically violating the law. Of course, if by
the time the checks get back to your bank there is enough money in the
account, you are unlikely to get caught for having used "float".

In other words, here, the proper date for the transaction is the one for
which you have made "constructive delivery". Normally that would be the
date on the check (again, technically illegal to "postdate" a check,
date it later than the "delivery" date on the presumption that it could
not arrive till a few days later, especially if a weekend involved).

Michael D Novack