Initial Installation and Setup

William Ingersolll wingerx5 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:42:36 EST 2015

I downloaded and installed GNUCASH. While attempting to import a Quicken
.qif file the program did not respond as I expected. I felt I had
committed an error. It appeared to me that the simplest thing to do
would be to uninstall the program, reinstall it and start over. In my
experience, when a well-written program uninstalls it takes all vestiges
of itself with it unless there are some files which may be desired upon
reinstall. In that case it will ask if these files should be left. This
program did not do that, but left a GNUCASH folder on the "C" Drive in
the program files that prevented re-installation. After I took care of
that and re-installed the program  it obviously maintain the memory of a
file that I had previously named in the prior aborted installation, and
subsequently erased. Each time I started the second installation it kept
claiming it could not find that file.

During my second attempt to install the Quicken files it asked to
correct or accept groups of data. As I didn't wish to spend a lot of
time dealing with many things that are probably obsolete and that I will
delete,I pressed . Forward for each list expecting they will be saved.
Then there appeared a list of financial securities that the program
suggested may not be correctly listed with the proper abbreviation.
There are well over 100 items dating from my early transactions in the
60s. There are many that no longer exist or for which I have no need.
Not wishing to go through these one by one at this time, I pressed
cancel and everything disappeared. The time I had already spent was
wasted. I do not want to start over again only to have this program
crash again. If there is some simple, reasonable way to do what I'm
trying to accomplish I would appreciate any information. It should not
be this difficult.

I am using Windows 7.