Recording Income

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 16:21:59 EST 2015

Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:07:40 <54E8129C.8020003 at gmail.com>  Edwin Humphries
<humphries.edwin at gmail.com>

>I'm the Treasurer of a small religious group, not an accountant, and
>still a GnuCash newbie.
>
>I'm trying to get my head around recording donations; I'm currently:
>
>1. When a contribution comes in, I raise an invoice. I can find it, but
>   it's not recorded as Accounts Payable.

Are you raising the invoice through the Business functions? If not
expect things to go wrong.

>2. When I bank it, I "Process Payment". I then see it as Accounts
>   Payable (which I would have said by then it's not) and not as
>   income. However, the amount appears in our Bank Account.

Yes, it would if you are doing the Payment right but the Invoice wrong.

>Either I'm getting something wrong in this process, or I'm missing a
>last step that transfer the amount from Accounts Receivable to Income.
>
>Help, please :(

You don't say where you are but raising an invoice for a donation
suggests not here.

Your basic choice is

   are donations recognised when received? in which case you can skip the
invoice and if you really have to print something out that looks like
one use your word processor if necessary or just send them a receipt

OR

   are donations actually invoiced? this gets weird, different American
states do it differently, etc. and I lose general interest around now
but other regular contributors to this list have standard texts.

I hope you enjoy reading them.

--
Wm...