Scheduled Transactions and Payables

YeOldHinnerk HRamthun at gmx.de
Sun Mar 8 16:14:52 EDT 2015

Hi,

ok, thank you, that was a usefull hint. Actually, so far I was not aware the
AR and AP are linked into the business features, which I don't use. I don't
think I came across any warning yet that these should not be used - I think
this maybe should be mentioned somewhere outside the business section -
which I never read and anyone using GC for their private finance probably
won't read it either.

Now, not using business features does not mean that I don't have accounts
which are of the very nature of Accounts Receivable / Payable. I set up
manually accounts for all companies I regularly owe money to (insurances,
electricity, ...), book scheduled transactions at the beginning of each
month correpsondingly and when the payments goes through checking, the other
leg is the account R/P. This has proven usefull for me and works quite well.

Mostly I was asking, since I saw the "Date due" in my accounts payable and
would like to use it, since my sx is always just for the first of the month
so that I can do some proper liquidity planning and know what will go
through my checking account this month. But it may be interesting to have
this slightly more granular and actually see the exact date due (and report
accordingly, I naturally assumed there would be report based on this or the
possibility to generate corresponding payements for my checking account
through hbci...).

I'm not exactly sure what the consequence of this is. I certainly could set
the accounts to a different type - but not using the business features
apparently means, that there is no problem. I also wondered shortly, if it
would make sense to enable the business features, but was slightly shocked
that payments coming into checkings are not directly linked to the AP but
rather Process Payment has to be manually started for each payment. I guess
from a business viewpoint this makes sense, but from a private finance
viewpoint, this is just manual overhead.

But coming back to my initial question about the scheduled transactions,
let's try to take a more general approach: There are various kind of
accounts (investment accounts being another special one). Shouldn't the
scheduled transaction editor then allow to also populate all the
corresponding fields of the accounts it generates trx for? I know this is
not a trivial task, since the various legs may be in all kind of accounts -
but still: Wouldn't this be the proper behavior for this interface?

Just my 2 cents,

YeOldHinnerk