creating QIF file under Dos using AWK

Michael DeBusk mdebusk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 02:44:34 EDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 7:23 PM, AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:

>> Is it desirable to have "!Type:Bank" in each entry? AFAIK, it belongs
>> only at the top of the file.
>
> According to the QIF file format information link that is provided in
> the Gnucash wiki (the link goes to Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QIF) it is required on each transaction.
> If not then that isn't clear from the samples.

Now I'm confused.

Here's a wayback machine link to the original QIF spec, no longer on
Intuit's Web site:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100222214101/http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/docs/d_qif.html

Under the heading of "Required File Formatting," it says, "When
Quicken exports an account register or list, it adds a line to the top
of the file that identifies the type of account or list. Listed below
are the header lines Quicken adds to the exported files:" It goes from
there to give a table of header lines

I've never gotten an error message about this. I can assume you have
never gotten one, either, doing it as you do.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments