Setting up gnucash to use postgesql back end - close but no cigar ...

YeOldHinnerk HRamthun at gmx.de
Mon Mar 9 08:28:33 EDT 2015

Hi,

now, this answer made me curious, for a couple of reasons:

1. At least the german GnuCash wiki FAQ does say that SQLite is intended for
home users:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/De/FAQ#F:_Gibt_es_eine_Datenbank-Anbindung.3F

2. I have several applications on my NAS (and in the past for testing
purposes also on my laptop), which use some SQL database like mysql.
Usually, there is hardly any admin work involved. I think the suggestion of
having to hire a professional database admin is far over the top. For many
purposes, the use of a DB in the background is quite simple. So should I
take this as a hint, that the integration of a DB in gnucash is not very far
yet and requires manual steps, which could be automated?

I currently use XML. The reason behind this is twofold:
- You can use/try it without any overhead.
- When you browse the GnuCash ressources (Wiki, Manual, IRC), you get the
impression that it is not really ready yet, has no advantages and is
complicated. I can't say anything about the first issue, but I can by now
see some possible advantages (I'm now starting to manipulate the XML with
PERL scripts, where one proper SQL command could probably replace everything
I did) and I don't think it has to be complicated.

Best,

YeOldHinnerk

Best,

YeOldHinnerk