Budgeting and negative balance

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:09:01 EDT 2015

When you took the car loan, there should have been a single transaction
with two legs (ignoring fees and one-time expenses that may have been
rolled into the car loan):

Dr. Assets:Fixed Assets:Car $10,000
Cr. Liabilities:Loans:Car Loan $10,000 <-- that's +$10,000

I guess you could consider the car a "current asset" because you could sell
it in less than a year.

With that transaction, your balance sheet (not your budget balance sheet)
should be correct, which is the highest priority. So make sure that is
correct and then take another look at the budget.

As for the budget, my guess is you didn't include the Assets:Fixed
Assets:Car account in the budget. If you include the loan in the budget,
you should probably include the car asset as well. Alternatively, you can
include neither the loan principal nor the car asset; the important thing
is including in your budget the transfers corresponding to the car loan
payments.