Question Regarding LLC Capital Contributions

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Mar 10 20:54:36 EDT 2015

I am trying to use GnuCash to set up the books of an LLC my wife and I
created as part of our estate planning strategy. This LLC has as assets
a cabin in the mountains in New Mexico that my wife and I transferred to
the LLC. The members (owners) of the LLC are myself, my wife and our
five adult children. ................ I am not an accountant but I
generally understand accounting principles............

Well yes, but accounting for a corporation? And I really think you need
(hope you have) an estate planning professional advising.

  Specifically, my question is how are member capital contributions
accounted for? The LLC has no income per se

Stop right here. I suspect that while this is intended as a corporation
that will (in effect) lose money there may in fact be income items,
perhaps small, but to be accounted for. If the corporation has a bank
account, and presumably it will have one, how about interest on the
money held to pay expenses as they occur. And perhaps a larger amount
from the original capital contributions held in higher paying
instruments until needed.

  and operating expenses, improvements, etc are paid for by capital
contributions from the members. For example the cabin ownership, itself,
was transferred from my wife and me to the LLC. Member equity in the LLC
is based on capital contributions but I am unclear on how to record the
contributions in the LLC books.

Which is why I said you need to look up "accounting for a corporation",
in this case presumably a "no stock" corporation.

Contributions would be debits to cash and credits to the contributor's
account (under equity). I would probably do income and expenses
normally, then (manually) close to a (temporary) account under equity
the nets, and then close that to the member's equity shares according to
your bylaws (how losses and gains to be shared).

If the cabin is used by any of the family they should pay rent to the
corporation (see, an income item). But your advisor should be able to
explain. I am NOT qualified to advise you.

Michael D Novack

PS: And not just any professional doing the advising advising. I am
aware of "advisors" who promise clients all sorts of methods of avoiding
taxes. But what you need to care about is has the tax courts HAVE been
ruling on this type of thing, not somebody telling you how they SHOULD
rule on it.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.