How to enter a multiple line deposit

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Mar 10 21:12:41 EDT 2015

On 3/10/2015 8:09 PM, Roderick Anderson wrote:

> I just took over (volunteered, railroaded) as the Treasurer for a
> small club.  The previous treasurer used Quicken/Quickbooks but I run
> mostly Windows free so that was not an option I cared for.

Your questions are unrelated to gnucash vs Quickbooks (you'd be having
EXACTLY the same problems)

> I have GnuCash installed and the accounts mostly set up.  One of the
> income sources for the club is membership.  I have run into two
> problems while making my first entries.
>
> 1. The Income->Membership Dues entries are decreasing checking account
> balance.  I am sure I will figure this out but a clue stick would be
> appreciated.

Stop immediately and review the basics of double entry bookkeeping and
practice with a small set of test books until you can do things like
this correctly.

Membership does being deposited in the bank should be a debit to the
checking account (asset) and a credit to membership dues (income).

> 2. How do I make a multi line 'deposit' transaction?  I would like to
> see all the dues collect for a period (month) sort of like a deposit
> slip.  Do I use some type of identifier that would group them together?
>
> Is this making any sense at all?  I could probably do it as a
> variation on a split.

Yes a split, but this is one of the cases where doing twice the work
(not really, but two step) would be easier and in any case probably more
accurately reflect the transactions. Treasurer of a small organization?
Well I am too, and I know I do not make daily trips to the bank,
certainly not troubling to try to get each and every check coming in
deposited before the end of the business day. Do you?

Well that member has NOT paid his or her dues on the day you manage to
get to the ban for your monthly deposit.  So perfectly reasonable to
enter each of these payments into "undeposited cash" (asset). Then when
you do make the bank deposit, that is simply  a transaction to transfer
between the two asset accounts. So the bank deposit transaction doesn't
care for what the amounts were (yes, you are depositing a series of
checks from  members, but THAT part of it recorded when you entered the
transaction to undeposited cash and endorsed the check "for deposit
only" to be collected till you had enough of them or a big enough total
to make a trip to the bank worth while.

BTW, in my case the transactions might STILL be splits, but if these
checks are just for membership, maybe yours will be simple. And example
of a split would be when a member includes a donation amount above the
membership dues (so some of that "membership income" and some "donations
income".

Michael D Novack