Budget Editor Entry

Russell Mercer rmercer206 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 17:40:38 EDT 2015

Wm,

First, let me thank you for the response, and at least at the end, the link
to the enhanced budget report.  That could be useful.

Now, as I referenced in my initial email, a couple years ago, someone asked
a similar question about the budget editor, and received a response
questioning why they were using the function.  I was oblique in my
reference before, but to be clear, You were the person who replied last
time, with an equally unhelpful and insulting answer.  If you don't have
anything nice to say, or anything that actually moves the discussion along,
don't waste my time and yours by responding.

If budgeting functionality is included in software, it should work.  If I
am doing something wrong, and I ask a question, it would be nice to be told
what I'm doing wrong instead of questioned why I'm using functionality that
IS A PART OF THE SOFTWARE!!!!

Yes, I am angry, because you are a jerk.  If that gets me kicked off the
mailing list, then so be it.  Every one of my questions you responded with
an insult or questioning my intelligence.  I didn't come to Gnucash from a
"budgeting background", as you stated, so I wasn't doing it wrong before.
I've never used a budget in software before, and thought it might be useful
as part of maintaining my finances, so I wanted to try it.  I encountered a
problem, or what seemed like a problem, so I asked a question about it.

There is a difference between knowing what costs may be in the future, and
being able to set limits to compare what costs I am incurring, with a
possible maximum amount.  That doesn't work for Future Cash Flow, since I
haven't spent it yet and don't know exactly how much I am going to spend.

You are correct that No One bought Gnucash for the budgeting.  As is very
clear, it is an open-source product with some very dedicated developers
working to keep it updated and improved.  So, no one bought it at all.
That has no bearing on my statement that different reports contradict
themselves in their behavior.

It may be correct that budgeting has naught to do with accounting.  It does
have significant impact on finance, and managing my finances is why I use
Gnucash.  It makes sense to be able create a budget directly connected with
my accounting records than to take it into another package thus requiring
additional processing and duplication of data.

If this was the wrong place to put my questions, I apologize.  I wanted to
ensure I wasn't doing something wrong prior to filing a bug report.

My thanks to YeOldHinnerk for coming to my defense.  I apologize for going
off on a rant.  It is responses like I received that discourage other
people from utilizing mailing lists like this one, regardless of the
potential benefits.

Thanks,
Russell