Recocile checking account with OFX file

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 23:54:27 EDT 2015

Michael,

I reconcile my bank’s transactions against my bank’s statements. An absurdity, I know.

Since they are only personal books, my main concern is to see if there are transactions that look fraudulent.

I do the reconciliation because it gets me to look at each transaction one more time to see if anything looks off. If anything *is* off, the bank requires me to contest it in a timely manner.

A long time ago, I gave up trying to get both my wife and me to save (and turn over!) a receipt for every transaction she and I generated, then enter them all into the software manually, and then reconcile them against the statement—especially because the only errors I ever turned up were my own. The number of hours of my life I lost in years past trying to track down precisely where **I** had screwed up in my books was not worth the satisfaction of being able to say that my bookkeeping was as good as the bank’s.

Cheers,
David