Unable to change language

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Mar 16 08:12:44 EDT 2015

> On Mar 16, 2015, at 7:35 PM, John Sjölin <john.sjolin at swipnet.se> wrote:
>
> My interest for gnucash is for a customer.
> Not being able to install gnucash in Swedish led me to search the net, where many have this problem with Swedish and in many cases solutions that do not work on computers runing a Swedish Windows operating system. I had tried all sugestions without success. I even stumbled on a script where languges are defined, but cannot remember where, perhaps the fault lies here.
> If you call changing the name on the folder sv to se hacking, then yes I hacked it, this is the only change made by me.
> The question remains why dosent LANG= sv_SE work, especialy that Sami is not translated?
> I know you are right in your ref. to the ISO codes.
> It would be interesting to hear if you are running on an English windows system and that sv_SE works there.
> Other langugaes tried worked as instructed but not Swedish!
> I have not tried gnucash on my Linux system as my customer uses Windows.
> Another observation is that the Swedish translation is not total.
>
> I apreciate your input.

Unfortunately I'm on travel with only my Mac laptop and can't test on Windows until I get back at the end of the month. Uncommenting and setting to sv_SE the LANG and LANGUAGE lines in etc/gnucash/environment works fine there.

For your client it might matter what version of Windows he's using and what locale he has set, but that doesn't usually matter.

You might also search the computer for another instance of gnucash.mo that gettext might find first, masking the correct one. Moving the correct one to a bogus locale name would unmask it and allow it to get loaded.

As for the completeness of the translations, yes, that's unfortunately the case with many of them. Swedish is about average in coverage. Swedish is supported through the translation project (http://translationproject.org), so if you'd like to help improve it or know someone else who would please contact them to coordinate with the current designated translator.

Regards,
John Ralls