Working with membership accounts

Jill Terry zen148517 at zen.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 06:47:32 EDT 2015

Just back from holiday so just seen this and you may already have
organised yourself.  I cannot of course comment on any legalities that
may be for your country/area, I am in the UK.

However, I am Treasurer for a non-profit organisation whose income is
from annual membership subscriptions and entries to events held
throughout the year, as well as selling a few products.

Our club does not send invoices out and I therefore do not do invoices,
or indeed customers, in GnuCash.   I merely do a transaction when I
receive payment, and make sure that I put the member's name in the
description. That way when I need to see who has paid what I simply do a
search for their name (Edit > Find).

Cheers
Jill

On 04/03/2015 15:52, Raymond Laverty wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I’m new to Gnucash and would therefore appreciate any tips you may regarding the following:
>
> I work for a small organisation that has about 100 members from around the globe. Since we are planning to increase our membership dramatically over the next few years, I decided it might be good to start using an accounting software. Our budget is small, we have only one bank account and a paypal account, and our income is from membership fees and project funding.
>
> My question is therefore, what is the best/easiest way in Gnucash to keep track of my members’ payments? Should I enter each one as a customer, and enter an invoice for each, or should I just create an account for each member or …??
>
> Thanks for your assistance,
>
> Ray

---