Recocile checking account with OFX file

dave boland dboland9 at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 17 09:36:48 EDT 2015

Michael,

You understanding is correct, but let me run through my process.

About once a month (except the last 4 - shame on me!!!), I go through the
paper receipts - mostly cash purchases from the Wallet account, but some are
on the debit or credit card accounts.

Next I download the csv version of my accounts (checking/debit card
accounts, credit card account), and manually add the missing income/
expenses.  The reason I do this manually is that normally there are very few
updates to gnuCash accounts, so it works well for me.

Because I was so far behind, and there were a lot more credit card purchases
than normal (Christmas season), I wanted an automated way to do this.

My expectations were that I would download the OFX files (3 total), and then
have gnuCash read them, match the transactions in the OFX files to ones
existing in gnuCash (more on that in a moment), and display a list of
transactions not matching anything in gnuCash.  I would accept the exact
matches and they would automatically be reconciled.   The near-matches (date
wrong - usually a day or two later than the transaction in gnuCash because
they were either debit or credit card purchases), would need to be connected
to the existing gnuCash transactions.  The new ones (automatic withdrawals,
transactions I forgot to enter, etc.) need to be added and a description
added for each.  Once done, the reconciliation would be done.  Repeat for
the other two OFX files.

Matching transactions is hard.  At best, the date and amount in a file will
match a transaction in gnuCash.  Sometimes only an amount will match.  So,
gnuCash needs to display the matches in three groups - those that match by
date and amount, those that match by amount, and those that have no matches
at all.  That is the process that I use manually.

Hope this helps.  If not, then let me know if the mail group accepts image
files and I will attach graphics to illustrate what I mean (as time
permits).  I plan on trying KMyMoney and jGnash (both double entry) to see
if they suite my needs better.  If I find something that I like, I'll make a
screen shot for you.

Dave,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Michael Hendry wrote:

>> On 16 Mar 2015, at 13:38, dave boland <dboland9 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>

>> All,
>>
>> We seem to have gotten off my topic - how to import and reconcile bank
>> transactions into gnuCash using an OFX file.  I backed up my gnuCash
>> file, started the import process, and got the window listing the results
>> (red, yellow, green).  I clicked on Help, but found it to be of little
>> use.  I Googled gnuCash OFX import, but found very little and no official
>> documentation.  A lot of the transactions the importer wanted to load
>> were duplicates that varied by date only (date of actual transaction in
>> gnuCash, date vendor got paid in the OFX file), and it was very
>> confusing.  I decided to just download a CSV file, load it into
>> LibreOffice Calc, and do every thing by hand.
>>
>> Call me disappointed.  Hope that new releases of gnuCash improve the
>> importer.

Sorry you’ve been disappointed, but perhaps you could explain clearly what
you are looking for?

--

>> http://www.fastmail.com[1] - Email service worth paying for. Try it for
>> free