Report: Balance Sheet (et. al.)

YeOldHinnerk HRamthun at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 11:35:54 EDT 2015

Hi,

well, I have gotten that recommendation frequently, to export reports/data
and then work of that. I guess that makes sense if you actually have to do
addtional, such as pretty printing things, adding comments etc., all the
stuff a company / non-profits organisation may have to do.

My increasing impression is that a huge part of users is overlooked here:
People using GnuCash for personal finance. That is what I use GnuCash for.
In many ways, GnuCash is ideal for that, as the double-entry acocunting lays
the perfect foundation.

But in some ways GnuCash is still lacking for personal finance. People doing
personal finance do not have to follow any regulations / publication
requirements. They want one tool and want to work fast in it. If there is
need for more than one tool, they should work together more or less
seamlessly, e.g. some reporting tool working direcly through some GnuCash
API. But preferred would be, to just run the reports one needs and
immediately get what you need all within GnuCash.

In this particular case, I wonder if you should even give people the choice
of selecting individual acocunts the way you currently do. It certainly is
not a balance sheet, as you also wrote. It endagers the results, as you may
not even notice that your earlier customization now leaves important data
away, rather then adding it to the higher-level accounts anyway.

The other question is then reduced to whether the tree-level should be the
only way of selecting what to display (yes, there are the zero sum
checkboxes etc...) or if there should be something more elaborate.

With the current state, I can't achieve what I wanted.

Best,

YeOldHinnerk