Invoice - Custom Design Header for No. 9 Double Window Envelope

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Mar 19 10:31:17 EDT 2015

On 3/19/2015 9:42 AM, L. D. James wrote:
> Does anyone know of some way, plugin or workaround for Invoice design
> that will correctly place the company return address and the
> customer's address for a No. 9 Double Window Envelope (CO165)?
>
> If nothing else, hopefully someone might have some knowledge of how
> the style sheets are stored so that I can try to manually edit the
> specification.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.
>
> -- L. James

This is precisely the sort of thing that you don't (or shouldn't) want
inside the accounting package. What you do is produce the output from
gnucash as a file and then process that file through a "batch editor".
For crying out loud, if you had a large volume to mail out, you'd be
wanting them presorted and batched  by zip code. Expect THAT from inside
the accounting package?

Those of us who worked (or still work) in the cypher mines will tell
you, keep things as independent as possible. If next year you have a
slightly different envelope window placement you DON'T want to have to
touch an accounting program to make the necessary adjustment. The folks
in the "print room" who are going to do things like testing the fit into
envelopes don't require access to the books!

Michael D Novack, FLMI

PS: If you give it a little thought, you will probably be able to come
up with a whole bunch of other things you might want to do. Split off
those longer overdue and/or larger amounts for a special insert? Split
off large/important customers for a special insert? That presort by zip
separating out the zips for which you can get a lower postal rate by
batching?

PSS: It's the "batch editor" where you should be doing things like
changing fonts, inserting logo graphics, etc.