Invoice - Custom Design Header for No. 9 Double Window Envelope

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 19 11:55:09 EDT 2015

Mike,

Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> writes:

> On 3/19/2015 9:42 AM, L. D. James wrote:
>> Does anyone know of some way, plugin or workaround for Invoice
>> design that will correctly place the company return address and the
>> customer's address for a No. 9 Double Window Envelope (CO165)?
>>
>> If nothing else, hopefully someone might have some knowledge of how
>> the style sheets are stored so that I can try to manually edit the
>> specification.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.
>>
>> -- L. James
>>

> This is precisely the sort of thing that you don't (or shouldn't) want
> inside the accounting package. What you do is produce the output from
> gnucash as a file and then process that file through a "batch
> editor". For crying out loud, if you had a large volume to mail out,
> you'd be wanting them presorted and batched  by zip code. Expect THAT
> from inside the accounting package?
>
> Those of us who worked (or still work) in the cypher mines will tell
> you, keep things as independent as possible. If next year you have a
> slightly different envelope window placement you DON'T want to have to
> touch an accounting program to make the necessary adjustment. The
> folks in the "print room" who are going to do things like testing the
> fit into envelopes don't require access to the books!

I think in the case of GnuCash I would suspect that in 99% of the cases
the person who is in the "print room" *IS* the person doing the books,
and also the person doing the work.  So I would argue that having the
templates and style sheets be flexible enough to do this is a GOOD THING
and should be encouraged.

Not everyone lives in a world where you have a separate accounting
department and mail department, and for those that do it's unlikely that
GnuCash is the right tool.

> Michael D Novack, FLMI
>
> PS: If you give it a little thought, you will probably be able to come
> up with a whole bunch of other things you might want to do. Split off
> those longer overdue and/or larger amounts for a special insert? Split
> off large/important customers for a special insert? That presort by
> zip separating out the zips for which you can get a lower postal rate
> by batching?

I agree, that doesn't belong, but a simple formatting flexibility in
existing reports???