Quicken file compatibility

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 22:43:55 EDT 2015

On 3/20/2015 5:13 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 20 March 2015 at 13:04, John Spanos <jspanos at optonline.net> wrote:
>> I have an older expired version of Quicken. I use it mostly to monitor my
>> (EFP) electronic funds payment. The few checks I actually write a month. And
>> some stocks.
>>
>> If I install gnucash, will I be able to open up my old Quicken files? And
>> pickup where I left off? Or aren't the 2 systems compatible?
> No you cannot, they are not compatible.  You should be able to export
> the data in QIF format and
> import that into Gnucash, but even that is not trivial.
>
> Colin

Perhaps I interpret your question in a different way.  It is possible to
run both programs side by side.  They do not interfere in any way.
However, each uses it's own data file format, and neither is able to
read the other's files.  If you want to transfer data from one to the
other you need to export data from one then import it into the other.
The export process does not delete any information from a file.

David C