Invoice - Custom Design Header for No. 9 Double Window Envelope

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sat Mar 21 10:57:06 EDT 2015

On 03/21/2015 10:28 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> I think the "Tax Invoice" report is the most flexible one in this
> respect. Contrary to all other reports its layout is controlled by css
> instead of the built-in styles.
>
> So what you can do is copy the file taxinvoice.css from
>
> <gnucash-install-path>/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/
>
> to some place convenient and modify it to your needs. It will allow
> you for example to move the address block to match your envelope window.
>
> Once happy with it, you can refer to this modified css file in the
> report's options.
>
> This assumes of course you have some css knowledge. If you don't, my
> suggestion may not helpful at all.
>
> If your css knowledge is limited, http://www.w3schools.com/ has some
> tutorials to learn the basics.
>
> And a good way to experiment with css is installing the firebug plugin
> in mozilla firefox. It allows you to modify several css properties and
> the webpage will be updated on the fly.
>
> If that webpage happens to be an exported version of one of your
> invoices using the tax invoice report, you immediately see which
> changes affect which parts of your invoice. Do keep in mind that
> changes you make in firefox/firebug are not saved. If you're happy
> with the changes you have to manually enter them in the custom
> invoice.css file to use them in gnucash as well.
>
> Hopefully this can help you achieve your goal.

Thanks, Geert!  This is what I was looking for.  I'm not that good with
css programming, but I am a fast learner.  It has come up many times
where I have taken a peek at it and done some limited formating.  This
will be an ideal time for me to  become more fluent... working on this
project.

I already mentioned that I don't mind spending time on customizing the
format, I just needed to know where I could do it to get started.  I
don't mind spending a week or a month on it.  From your description I'm
sure I can handle it with no problem... just a bit of time.  I'll most
likely be purchasing this css package
(http://www.bluegriffon.com/index.php?pages/CssEditor) to help me with
the task.

Once I have it done, I'll consider updating this thread with the
template so that others can benefit from... that is, if I can get the
steps easy for a novice to follow.  I may include a script file with it.

> In my opinion, gnucash should provide a decent reporting base with
> room for customization. That has always been the idea. The stylesheet
> editor is one example of this. I believe (as most developers) though
> that the current reporting system is showing its age and at some point
> we'll need to investigate how to bring it into the modern day and age.
> There are currently other priorities though so for now the stylesheet
> editor is the best we can offer for most reports. With the exception
> of a few reports based on eguile, which allow for more drastic
> layouting via a custom css file.
>
> > You appear to be very stern on devaluing a feature of custom form
>
> > (namely in this case invoice) output.
>
> Which is clearly a way accounting is done in large firms with separate
> accounting and mailing departments (and probably a dedicated IT
> department as well). GnuCash is for a different audience.
>
> > Most GNU developers appreciate
>
> > input and feedback from their users. This functionality has been
>
> > brought up many times. In my experience being able to customize
>
> > reports output is always a basic feature of all programs. The
>
> > developers of Gnucash appears to realize this also as they have a
>
> > nice start with their style editor.
>

> Yes, the developers do agree on this.
>
> > I'm sure discussions like this may inspire the developers to give this
>
> > a higher priority.
>

> As said earlier, the developers are well aware the reporting system in
> general needs a big overhaul. Unfortunately so do other parts of the
> code and developer time is limited. Hence it was decided to first
> focus on modernizing the core and continue from there to the gui and
> the report system. The report system is on the list, but it will take
> a few years given the current developer's time and availability.

It appears that you might have some type of connection (or
communication-ability) with the developers/development.  I hope to
develop some connection also so that I can follow the development,
priorities, and feature requests being considered.  One feature request
that could probably go a long way is to develop some type of plugin
system to make it easier for o6thers to contribute to various aspects.
Report formating would be a good area to allow plugins from the
community.  With community shared plugins, while it appears we have a
wealth of expertise in this maillist sharing their skills, workarounds
and tips, the plugins would spare a lot of us from having to continue to
reinvent the wheel.

I kindly thank everyone who contributed to this thread, keeping it open
long enough for me to see the light.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James