Maybe I finally understand how to enter split transactions

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Mar 21 11:15:09 EDT 2015

On 3/21/2015 12:59 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2015 17:50:04 Michael Wagner wrote:
>> I spent some time last night trying to enter a Credit Card split
>> transaction in Chapter 6 of the Concepts manual. I kept paging back
>> and forth to the paycheck example earier, but I was till confused.
>>
>> I think that maybe I understand it now.
>>
>> 1) Click on the blank transaction line in the Credit Card account -
>> add a description and a data, maybe a transaction number - but don't
>> add any amounts or transfer account information.
>>
>> 2) Click on the Split icon.
>>
>> 3) In the first split line, select the Liabilty:Visa for transfer, and
>> add a charge (credit) of $125.
>>
>> 4) Tab down to the split line, select Expenses:Groceries for the
>> transfer, and add an expense (debit) of $80.
>>
>> 5) Tab down to the next spit line, select Expenses:Home for the
>> transfer and add an expense (debit) of $45.
>>
>> 6) Click on the + icon, and everything will be folded so that a $125
>> charge shows up in Visa account - with "-- split transaction --" in
>> the transfer.
>>
>> Is this correct?
That will work, and if it is what you prefer, continue to use that method.

I normally do one way splits in the reverse order. First enter the
unsplit side (which will be for the total amount) and working down,
change the amount shown for the other side, entering that account, let
gnucash show subtract to show what's left, and repeat till nothing left
over.

But when it's a two way split I might do it the way you just described
(BOTH debits and credits are split into more than one account)

Michael

> That's how it works indeed.
>
> Well done, you do understand split transactions now !
>
> Geert

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.