Transfer of .gnucash folder from SSD system disc to HDD data disc

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Sun Mar 29 18:03:44 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-29 14:53, L. D. James wrote:

> I think a good question would be to actually have the user specify what
> he's really trying to achieve.  I'm sure he's trying to achieve
> specifying where his accounting data files will be located.

In a roundabout way he did specify what he wanted.  His new machine uses
a smaller SSD for the primary drive.  He wants all the mutable data
(including anything that programs generate separate from user generated
files like GnuCash's preferences, etc.) to reside on a spinning hard
drive instead of the SSD.  His Windows profile will not only contain all
of GnuCash's user data (the books) because that's where the Documents
library lives, but it will also contain all the preferences.

The end result, as you point out, is that it's a feature of the OS
itself that needs to be modified by shifting the user profiles over to
the other drive.  This is certainly possible but can potentially break
things so extreme caution is advised.