Export & import within GnuCash

bunk3m bunk3m at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:47:30 EDT 2015

Hi.

I've been reading the docs and making some tests but am unable to get my
transactions out of GnuCash (2.6.5 Mac) and back into a clean account
structure.  I am using the xml data format.

There was a short discussion in the mailing list in late 2014
Export/Import Transactions where the person wanted to do the same thing
but appears to have failed too.  There was no solution.

I have some problems with currency transactions that I have never been
able to fix.  So I wanted to start with a clean balance sheet for the
year (year end 2013).  I have many transactions that I don't want to try
to manually recreate so I thought I could export from Jan. 1 2014 to
present and import those into a clean file.

I exported the account structure and created a new GnuCash file with
that account structure.  So far so good.  I manually created the account
balances so my balance sheet is correct.

Then I attempted to export the transactions from Jan. 1, 2014 to present
from the old file and then import those transactions into the clean
account structure.  This is where the problems started.

I am able to export, I think, but the import of csv fails.  I used the
"|" (pipe) command as the separator initially but found the import won't
allow "custom" separator.

So I tried to export with the comma separator as that looks to be the
default.  I also selected "quotes".

It created a file that I then attempted to import.  However there are
many more exported columns than available import columns so it looks
like I will lose some info.

Understanding that I will likely have to fix some transactions, I tried
to import what I had but that fails also.

Is it not possible to export and import transactions from GnuCash?

If yes, then am I going about this wrong?  How should I be doing this?

I'm on digest mode so would appreciate if you could cc me directly in
addition to responding to the list.

Thank you in advance.