Tutorial and Concepts Guide closes

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Mar 30 09:12:38 EDT 2015

On Sunday 29 March 2015 22:20:31 Frank Saporito, M.D. wrote:
> David and Colin,
>
> Thank you for responding to my inquiry and your thoughts.  The Help
> menu items Tutorial and Concepts Guide seems to open up the links
> fine.  But will close after about 10 seconds.
>
> I have been able to figure out that Yelp (the Gnome help viewer) is
> being killed by signal 11 (SIGSEV). (whatever that means)
>
> There are some similar bug reports out there for this issue.
>
> I will keep plugging away.  Any other ideas?

Hi Frank,

I am running on Fedora 20, using yelp-3.10.2-1.fc20.x86_64. Neither the
guide nor the manual crash when I open them from within GnuCash.

This if of course not on CentOS, but both distributions are similar
(particularly as GnuCash Centos and Fedora packages are built by the
same maintainer).

GnuCash uses the default gnome system calls to launch yelp. There is
nothing fancy about that call and yelp runs completely independently
from GnuCash once called.

In addition if yelp starts fine and crashes shortly afterwards, that
sounds like a bug in yelp rather than GnuCash.

If it is something in our guide or manual that triggers the crash, I'd
love to hear about it of course. But even in that case the bug is in
yelp which should not crash when opening a document, malformed or not.

On the other hand I'm not sure where to send you to report this bug. I
believe yelp is part of the Centos release so logically it should be
reported there. My fear is however that the Centos maintainers will tell
you gnucash is part of EPEL so go complain there...

A few additional tests you could run that may give you more hints to
what goes wrong:

>From a command line run
yelp ghelp:gnucash-help
or
yelp ghelp:gnucash-guide

That is exactly what gnucash does as well.
Do these crash also ?
Is there some crash information on the command line ?
Does this trigger an abrt crash report ? Does that contain anything
useful ?

Geert