How to register partial payments

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 4 10:03:15 EDT 2015

Hi,

Richard Barmann <dick at stripingthetown.com> writes:

> I did an invoice for a partial payment and now the project is
> complete. I want to generate an invoice for the balance but I keep
> getting the total bill. What steps am I not doing correctly. I have
> posted the invoice and when I pull up to pay it shows the balance but
> the invoice itself prints it with the total figure.
> Dick Barmann

I'm not sure what you mean by "did an invoice for a partial payment."
Did you make and invoice?  Or did you process a payment?  Perhaps using
an explicit example would help us understand what you did and what
you're trying to do.

GnuCash does handle partial payments.  You raise an invoice for, say,
$100.  They pay you $50.  You apply that $50 to the invoice, leaving
another $50 left to pay.  A month later they pay you another $50, which
you apply to the Invoice and viola, it's paid.  In the interim you could
either print the $100 invoice and turn on the "Show Payments" option, or
you could print a Customer Report to send them their outstanding
balance.

Good Luck,