Getting Started - Encryption

jake togiveout jaketogiveoutemail at gmail.com
Sat May 9 13:49:34 EDT 2015

Hi john, thanks for the reply! Comments inline

On Saturday, May 9, 2015, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > On May 9, 2015, at 6:12 AM, jake togiveout <jaketogiveoutemail at gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > So I'm making the switch from quicken to this. Had looked at
> > personalcapital.com and they look nice but I don't like somebody else
> > having my data.
> >
> > Can I encrypt the files which store this information? What about
> switching
> > types of DB files later from local to mysql?
>
> You can't directly encrypt the files because GnuCash wouldn’t know how to
> open them, but you can keep them in an encrypted image or on an encrypted
> volume. You can  use “File>Save As…” to change the backend type.

Basically I was asking if anybody built encryption support in. As far as
I'm concerned the only encryption that matters is file level or better,
volume level is next to useless unless if the box is powered off

> > Also regarding the online items, I was having some trouble setting up
> bank
> > import. Does that work?
>
> It does if your bank supports either OFX Direct Connect (USA) or
> HBCI(Europe). GnuCash does *not* support OFX Web Connect. Even with OFX
> Direct Connect setup can be fiddly.
>
> Yes ofx, but I had trouble

> > What about stock price updates? Is there a screen for reports to update
> all
> > of my investments?
>
> GnuCash does support online quote retrieval, though you must install a
> Perl module called Finance::Quote to do the actual retrieving. The MSWin
> version of GnuCash provides a utility to make this simple.

Ok thanks

> > Sorry they are very basic questions, I had some trouble following
> > http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-help/import-qif.html, the
> > backups were encrypted.
>
> Please use the current 2.6 documentation and please study thoroughly the
> Tutorial and Concepts Guide; both are available for online reading or
> download at http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml. GnuCash works rather
> differently from Quicken.

That's my problem ok thanks!! I'm not sure so far they are so different

Jake