Import QIF files from Quicken

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 19:50:45 EDT 2015

On 5/9/2015 2:44 PM, Brian Harris wrote:

> Hello David
>

> Thank you for your suggestions on transferring QIF files from Quicken
> to GNUcash.  I have tried this and have run into a further problem.
> Choosing one of my smallest files I set up an export as suggested, see
> enclosed screenshot.  One of the questions in quicken is which file
> should I transfer the data to and it allowed me to choose a file name
> of “Andrew”.  However when I opened GNUcash I was unable to find the
> data I tried to export – see enclosed screenshot.  Do I need to set up
> an account in GNUcash called Andrew before exporting the data?  If so
> please point me in the right direction for this as in GNUcash, opening
> “File” and then “New File” does not appear to give you the option of
> naming that file.
>

> Kind regards
>

> Brian Harris

Please cc the list in your replies.  It will lead to better answers from
other users and developers.

Quicken lets you assign a name to each file that you export. I suggest
including your selection limits in the filename which may include the
source filename, account(s) selected and date range. put the file in an
easy to find place such as a subdirectory of my documents.  Then you
will choose that file and any others that you create when you try your
import.  Expect to find a few bumps in the road that may require
adjustments to your methods.

Read chapter 3 of the help manual and section 5 of the FAQ.  These
should answer most of your questions or at least lead to more specific
questions to ask on this list.

David C