Account Structure for a Medical / Physician / Primary Care Office

Alice Lee alee212007 at satx.rr.com
Mon May 11 23:21:05 EDT 2015

You have to have someone with some accounting knowledge in your office. To begin with, that person may be receptionist, bookkeeper, and coder for insurance:  a jack of all trades.  You have to have accurate accounting records, both balance sheet and income statement.  The business aspect that gets most starting businesses in trouble, is payroll. Be sure that you hire someone who can handle payroll and the required reports at the beginning. This program has the invoicing that you need but you will most likely need to record pending insurance payments and co-payments.  You are a service business so your income should consist of fees for services--if you provide more than one type of service, just set up different fee-income accounts.  Your expenses will be very routine.  I would set up the expense accounts on the fly as you need them. Analysis of your business would not normally include names of vendors or names of payers.  The names of your patients will be on the invoices within the system.  The vendors can be set up in accounts payable.  These features are available in the business section of the program.