Mutual fund reinvestment option

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 01:28:22 EDT 2015

On 5/23/2015 10:41 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On May 23, 2015, at 6:18 PM, Divakar R. <divakar07 at dataone.in> wrote:
>>
>> How else should the transaction be recorded? As I understand, 600 comes
>> in as income and 600 is added to the investment account. Even if I enter
>> a single line transaction in Assets:Investments:Mutual Fund:Fund_A as
>>
>> Transfer:Income:Mutual Fund:Fund_A Shares 18.296: Price 32.7941: Buy 600,
>>
>> the split looks as I have indicated in earlier mail.
>>
>> I seem to be missing something here and am not able to get this right.
> You need four transactions, which you can do as one or two transactions at your pleasure, though if you’re using the Advanced Portfolio Report there are some subtleties that I don’t know about since I don’t use it.
>
> The splits, when viewed in Assets:Investments:Mutual Fund:Fund_A, which should be of type FUND or STOCK:
> 						Shares	Price	  Buy	  Sell
> Income:Mutual Fund:Fund_A		  				   600
> Assets:Brokerage Account:Cash					  600
> Assets:Brokerage Account:Cash						   600
> Assets:Investments:Mutual Fund:Fund_A     	18.296	32.7941	  600
>
> I usually record these as two transactions, one for the dividend and one for the repurchase.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I am still confused by what Divakar R. wrote in his first post.  I think
that he stated that he entered the equivalent of the first and fourth
lines that John explained above, and that the omission of the the second
and third lines caused blanks in the register displays of the security
and parent accounts.  I have not seen that in my data file.  In fact,
the section of the Tutorial describing how to enter a dividend
reinvestment does omit the second and third lines.   What would the
omission of the two middle lines actually cause?

David C