Accounting for renovation escrow account

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Nov 6 00:30:46 EST 2015

Hi Rob,

That depends on the circumstances and the tax jurisdiction. If the
property being renovated is being used to produce income it is possible
that all renovation costs may be tax deductible and depending on the
jurisdictional rules and the amount may be immediately deductible or the
deduction may be amortized over time i.e. accounted for as an increase
in the value of the asset(property) and then depreciated over the
lifetime of the asset. Which treatment is applicable is highly dependent
upon jurisdiction.

That said, any of these can be treated in Gnucash withe the appropriate
accounts and transactions

For a private home in my country there is usually no tax deduction
available but this is again dependent on local tax laws.  In most
jurisdictions you would not provide any treatment of the increase in
valuation of the property as this is not realizable until the property
is sold and would normally be treated as a capital gain if you have
taxation of capital gains.

You would need to check with your tax authorities and/or a local
accountant to determine what is the optimal treatment for your
circumstances and what depreciation rates and periods would apply.

On another point expenses are not depreciation but depreciation is an
expense. Depreciation accounts for the loss in value of an asset with a
fixed lifetime over that lifetime of that asset.
Regards

David

--
*Dr David R Cousens* B.Sc.(Physics), M. Prof. Acc., Ph.D. (Physics),
Grad.Cert. Ed.