Stocks, advanced portfolio and multi-currency

giulc giuliocv at ymail.com
Sat Nov 7 05:02:14 EST 2015

Mike Alexander wrote
> You're talking about the case where the currency used to purchase the
> security is not the same as the report's currency, right?

Mike,
that's correct. E.g. it happens for a bond which can be bought using one's
EUR bank account but which has AUD as trading currency. Indeed the security
is priced - and reported by the Yahoo quotes - in AUD, and then converted
into EUR currency (the original currency in which one wants the reports, the
"Basis" currency) to have an idea of the possible today's gain/loss. It's
something that everyone's bank account with an investment portfolio usually
does live.

I presume the right process should be: Gnucash should get the EUR and the
AUD the day(s) of the "buy" transation(s) - one or more if any - and
calculate the "Basis", which never changes, then use today's (or last
downloaded..) AUD-EUR exchange + today's stock price in AUD to convert
today's value in EUR as output for the Investment Portfolio Report.
How shall I do to propose the patch? Should I get into Gnucash code? I hope
not...

Thank you.
Regards.