Confused on split transactions

dhight4 dhight4 at tx.rr.com
Sun Nov 8 08:48:48 EST 2015

I'm new to this and getting real confused.  When working in the check register I want to indicate that part of the check applies to one income  account (top level dues paid with sublevel named after the individual),  and the other part to a second income account (top level ads purchased with a sublevel named after the individual).

When I try to split the transaction it always wants to treat one part as a credit, and the other part as a debit.

What am I doing wrong?
Or is this broken and what is the proper work around.

Save the Republic
Vote GOP in 2016