Handling Investment Switch

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Nov 11 19:51:53 EST 2015

> On Nov 11, 2015, at 9:55 AM, venkatadri kr <venkatadri_kr at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks John for your quick response. I tried this, but it is doing the following
>
> a) the units of the mutual fund are taken in properly
> b)  it is not picking up the value of the scrip (even though it is added in the price editor)
> c) It is adding another two rows of trading : Fund : Scrip a and b  and balancing the units
> d) It is taking one entry in the trading : Currency and corresponding showing an imabalance. This value is the difference between the number of units between the two scrips

You didn’t say that you’re using trading accounts. Perhaps if they confuse you you shouldn’t, but what you describe is correct.

The important thing here is that there should be no currency involved. Make sure that the price and debit/credit (or Tot Buy/Tot Sell) entries are blank on both splits. You must explicitly delete the “1” that GnuCash sticks in the Price column as a default value. GnuCash will stick a value in the “Tot Sell” entry in the transaction line, you can ignore that.

The price editor isn’t involved in this at all. Since both funds are non-currency commodities the price editor won’t even record the rate between them.

Here’s a screenshot showing the finished transaction with trading accounts:

Regards,
John Ralls