understanding currency exchange...

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Nov 11 20:12:38 EST 2015

> On Nov 11, 2015, at 12:25 PM, Joshua Chambers <chambers.joshua at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm presuming the (USD) and (EUR) mean you've told gnc amounts held in
>> those accounts are in amounts of those currencies rather than say just
>> changing the account names.  One way to check is to produce a balance
>> sheet, it'll show amounts in either USD and EUR or both depending on
>> your base currency.  If you show the Commodities column in your Accounts
>> list you should see the "thing" that gnc is counting for that account.
>
> Yes, of course the Assets:Holdings:Cash:Euros account is set to the
> commodity EUR... I have attached a screenshot to show that.
>
>>> So I go to enter this transaction into gnucash (newest version 2.6.9)...
>>> no matter what exchange rate I enter in the exchange rate dialog,
>>
>> there is your problem, don't enter an exchange rate.  Enter the two
>> amounts, each in their own currency, gnc will work out the exchange rate
>> for you.
>
> I have tried over and over again to do it both ways!  I have entered
> exchange rates into the exchange rate dialog, and I have entered
> amounts... another sign that the currencies are set correctly is that
> the exchange rate dialog comes up automatically as it should!  It simply
> does not seem to matter what I enter into it!
>
> Attached is a screenshot showing the exchange rate dialog that comes up
> automatically when I attempt to leave focus from the part of the
> transaction that is Euros.  I have repeatedly entered various variants
> of the correct exchange rate, the correct amount... and you can see from
> the screenshot that it says clearly "1 USD = 0.900000 EUR", which is
> exactly the rate I intend to use (500 * 0.9 = 450), and in the correct
> direction...
>
>>> once I
>>> come back to the transaction I still cannot have those two be the only
>>> parts of the transaction,
>>
>> You should have.  If it is not right then something else is up.
>
> YES!  Exactly.  I'm relieved to know that at least I understand this in
> theory, but still I am not getting those results!
>
>>> I am still left over with "50" to deal with,
>>> but there shouldn't BE 50 anythings left over, because 500USD = 450EUR
>>> @ .9!
>>
>> Correct, there shouldn't be anything left over.  Let's take a look:
>>
>>> Account                                    Debit           Credit
>>> Assets:Exchanges:Benjamin    USD500
>>> Assets:Holdings:Cash:Euros                         EUR450
>>> (this is where I'm asked to balance it with another account, and if I
>>> leave it blank, it becomes "Imbalance-USD")
>>
>> You shouldn't be asked for another account.  gnc *knows* what to do with
>> different amounts when there are different currencies, it creates the
>> necessary exchange rate for the transaction to have happened.
>
> Okay, then something else is wrong, because I really think I'm doing
> this right.  The third screenshot is from immediately after I hit okay
> [...]

Multi-currency split view can be confusing. In split view in a currency account, the amounts shown in the register are in the open account’s currency — in the case of your Assets:Exchanges:Benjamin Brewer account, USD, so you should enter 500 in both, then set the rate to 9/10 in the transfer dialog, click OK, and complete the transaction. Switch to the Euro account and the transaction will show as being for €450.  Analogous views for a bogus ATM withdrawal: Checking is USD, Cash—Euro is what it says.

Regards,
John Ralls