Toolbar buttons suddenly disabled

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 16:58:54 EST 2015

On 11/15/2015 6:08 AM, Robert Kesterson wrote:
> Mine grays out the buttons while it is auto-saving, which takes a few
> seconds.  Maybe yours is getting stuck saving?
>
>> AC <mailto:gnucash at acarver.net>
>> November 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM
>> Ok, running 2.6.3, no major issues until now. I usually leave it up and
>> running so I can avoid the startup delay and add entries as needed.
>> However, very recently (within the past couple weeks) all the toolbar
>> buttons would suddenly gray out and become disabled. I was able to
>> switch from account to account using the tabs but I could not enter
>> transactions, open splits, or do anything else. It looked like the
>> identical menu options had become disabled, too.
>>
>> I have to shut down and restart GC to bring back the buttons.
>>
>> No recent changes to the computer (in fact the computer hasn't been
>> rebooted in several months).

As Robert states, the program does become unresponsive when doing an
autosave or when doing certain other behind-the -scenes activities. If
the problem seems to be triggered by a certain input activity, there may
be a specific area to look for a solution.
I have had similar problems on my Windows 7 machine from time to time
that I think has usually been caused by a different program such as
Firefox hogging resources.  Usually the entire machine gets sluggish at
the same time.  Rebooting fixes it for me.  If you are using a windows
machine you should consider updating to release 2.6.9 unless you are
bothered by the multiple currency issue that it has.

There is a possibility that you may have some other OS issue.  If your
machine is a Windows machine, you might be eligible for the Guinness
book of records for time between re-boots.  Try re-booting.

David C