Balance Sheet problem

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Tue Nov 17 07:37:08 EST 2015

On 11/16/2015 9:52 PM, Roger & Karen Wise wrote:
> I’m running GnuCash 2.6.5 on a Windows 8 machine. I’ve been creating an accounting system for a large non-profit and put quite a bit of time on it.
>
> My problem is with the splits and their effect on the balance sheet when I make changes in assignment to the splits. I assigned travel and miscellaneous expenses originally to Account A. Later, I created Account B for miscellaneous expenses, then went back and split the transaction between A and . After I did that, the balance sheet went out of whack by the amount of one of the splits.
>
> I’ve tried deleting one of the accounts and renewing it under the same name, no dice. I’ve used the Checking account to delete the transactions and re-entered the payment, again no dice.
>
> I like GnuCash and I’ve spent weeks putting the accounts together, but I fear there is a fatal flaw that will kill it. Any help will be deeply appreciated.
This is not a "fatal flaw" in gnucash. Sorry, but there must be
something wrong either with the way you set up the new account (B) or
how you re-entered the transaction as a split. For example, have you
checked that there is nothing in imbalance or orphan? Have you rechecked
the type of the new account B? On what side of the account (if looking
at the transaction as it appears in B) is it, a debit or credit?

I am going to guess that you haven't a lot of experience with double
entry bookkeeping. That guess because you refer to the Balance Sheet
going out of whack and expense accounts aren't standing accounts on the
balance sheet (only the NET of all income and expense accounts appears
there as net gain or loss).

Michael