location of files when I click "save"

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Thu Nov 19 19:26:48 EST 2015

On 11/19/2015 02:49 PM, Marc Sopher wrote:
> Mailing list—I stand corrected.
>
> Something worked, though I’m not sure what it was.  That said, when I click “File” then “Save As,” where should I have the file saved, and what name should it have?  Also, when I simply click on “Save” that appears on the left side of the toolbar, where is that being saved?  Thanks.
First Save.  Clicking on Save in the toolbar saves to the last file you
opened or saved to.  When you start gnucash it automatically opens (or
tries to) the last file you opened.  When you first tried gnucash it
would have prompted you to setup an account structure and when you saved
that that file where ever YOU chose to put it became the last saved file
and the one that would get opened the next time you ran gnucash.

Save As.  Short answer you can save to any file anywhere on your
computer.  However, you should pick and name and a location you can find
again (preferably somewhere on your computer that you backup regularly).