Scheduled Transaction - unusual case

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Fri Nov 20 17:07:17 EST 2015

On 2015-11-20 08:19, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> Probably the best way. In my working days I designed a "calendar
> program" for one of the world's largest financials. The problem is much
> more difficult than at first appears and THIS particular problem a
> perfect example of why. You say the rule is "next to last Thursday of
> each month" but I would be willing to bet that is NOT a completely
> correct description of the rule.
>
> There can be five Thursday's in a  month, and when that month is
> November, the next to the last is Thanksgiving, a holiday on which
> bank's don't do business, yes? In that case, when do they do it? Day
> before? Day after? (originally Thanksgiving was the last Thursday in
> November, but that changed to 4th Thursday in 1942).

The OP didn't say he was in the US but this situation is becoming less
common with electronic transactions.  I get paid every other Friday but
occasionally Friday is a holiday.  The payroll office prepares the
transactions ahead of time but the transaction actually executes (and
posts) on Friday, even if it's a holiday.