gnucash files subscripts

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 16:53:36 EST 2015

On 22 November 2015 at 06:41, O Cassar <ocassar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Helper
>
> All my computer documents are backed up to an external hard drive using
> Norton 360 software. I cannot find gnu files in the 'financial' folder of
> the backup disk. I wish to use the search facility but I don't know the gnu
> file subscripts used in the gnu 2.43 program. I'm using the term subscript
> to denote the 3 letters following the filename as in .doc for windows Word
> files, I'm not sure of the correct terminology! Can you help me?
>
> I don't know in which folders gnucash saved all my accounts data on the
> computer hard drive. Is it possible that the Norton 360 software did not
> backup these files to my external hard drive?

They are probably .gnucash files (file extensions do not need to be
three letters).  I say 'probably' because you can override that when
you save it.  To find the folder where you saved the file if you open
it in gnucash then click File > Save As the browse window that pops up
will default to the folder where you saved it.  Gnucash should show
you then name of the file in the window title bar when you have
gnucash open.

Colin