Unrealised losses

Peter p.hoban at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 22 21:33:28 EST 2015

Greetings

I am using GnuCash 2.6.1 on Linux Mint 17.2 to manage a superannuation fund with >$1.5M funds.  Annual reporting in Australia requires a figure for
Unrealised Gains/Losses which I see from reading the Forum posts is a rather complex issue.

I have set the file to use currency trading accounts and when I enter a sale of shares GnuCash generates a split transaction with four lines of
entry.  This must be adjusted to include brokerage but appears to work correctly with Trading accounts for the change of value.

I am left with the question of EOFY reporting which is required to show unrealised gains/losses - I can ensure that the Price Editor has an
appropriate value for the stock on the balance date but the Balance Sheet shows the acquisition price when the price source is set to 'average
value'.  When the source is set to 'Nearest in time' the Balance Sheet shows a value much larger and clearly incorrect. It appears something is not
set up right.

Can I get an accurate asset value into the Balance Sheet, and an accurate Unrealised Gain for a periodic revaluation?

Thanks in anticipation,  Peter