file won't open

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Oct 1 16:48:09 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, October 1, 2015 10:46 am, Philip Alexander wrote:
> I had to reset my PC yesterday and now after reinstalling Gnu Cash I can't
> seem to open my Gnu file.

I'm sorry to hear about your system issues.  It's always time consuming to
recover.

> I found the file with a .gcm extension and when I click it I get this
> error message:

Unfortunately this is not your data file (which is why you're getting this
message).  The .gcm file is the GnuCash Metadata file, which contains
things like open windows and reports, etc.

> If this isn't my file, where else might the file be saved? Or if it is my
> file what am I doing wrong.

Your data file is saved wherever you told GnuCash to save it (the same way
you need to tell Word where to save your .doc files).  It would be called
<something>.gnucash, so look for that.

> Please help. I can't believe I have possibly lost 2 years of data.

Hopefully it's somewhere convenient, like your My Documents folder.
Run a search.  Otherwise you'll probably have to restore from a backup.
Good Luck.

> Philip Alexander
> Business Manager Imagine School at Lakewood Ranch
> 10535 Portal Crossing, Bradenton, FL 34211
> (941) 750-0900 Ext. 105

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745