excellent software

Jim Passmore jim at passmore4.com
Sat Oct 3 09:19:34 EDT 2015

Kathy,
I used to use Puppy, and it's awesome for lesser-powered computers, but
you've hit on a major weakness--software packages.  I recall later versions
(about the time I was moving to another distro) were adding capability to
use ubuntu/debian deb files,  slackware packages, etc.  I don't know the
current status.

There is a forum thread on GnuCash at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42936 .  It originated
years ago, but the last post is from this year, and mentions GnuCash 2.6.1
(a bit outdated) in Tahrpup 6.0.2.  You'll need to compare your precise
pangolin version (Ubuntu based?) with this one to see if it's accessable.

I would check to see how much success you'll likely have adding an Ubuntu
Precise package and try that. The Puppy forums used to be really helpful.
Precise Pangolin is Ubuntu 12.04LTS, which is quite old.  There is a
GnuCash 2.6.3 package (also a bit old) for 12.04 at getdeb.net.

I would look at moving to a more recent version if your computer can handle
it.  12.04LTS is still supported <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS> for a year
or so, but people are less likely to keep software up to date.  Maybe try
14.04 LTS or a distro based on it?

Good luck.

*Jim Passmore*jim at passmore4.com
http://jimpassmore.wordpress.com